The True Mensa
Our Sunday school topic for today focuses on understanding what it means to fear GOD and how we as Christians differ from the world in our actions and speaking. We focus on what it means to be set apart.
Handout: The True Mensa
1. Ask the students -What are some ways that we as children of God are different than the unsaved? John 14:15 "If ye love me, keep my commandments." When we accept JESUS into our hearts as our own personal Savior and we are born again, we are filled with the Holy Spirit. Knowing God's word, obeying Him and doing as He commands is how we show our love for Him. Each person has his or her own personalities. Philippians 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." We now have been born again, so we have the Holy Spirit inside us leading us to do the will of God, to do right, and follow His will. People who have not yet experienced salvation, they are led only by the flesh, therefore, they do not understand what it's like to be led by God's Holy Spirit. We as Christians are not suppose to be judgmental, or have a "holier than thou" attitude toward others, but with love and humility, knowing that we are just sinners saved by God's grace, and that once we were lost and we did not understand. Like Jesus we can go unto the lost and tell them the gospel without being partakers of their sin. We do not have to laugh at the jokes that are not pleasing to God, we do not have to do as the world does, that is the light within us that lets the world know there has been a change in our hearts, we are set apart, we are the righteousness of God. We can say no without being judgmental. It is the responsibility of each and every child of God to know His word and spend time with God in prayer and to follow as He would have you follow. These are the actions that others watch. This is how they see Jesus in us. We shine His light to the world in love and letting them see that we understand where they are because we once was there as well, and that it is nothing good about us, but that we believed and asked Jesus to come into our hearts and received salvation.
2. Ask the students - What does it mean to fear the Lord? In rightly dividing God's word, we know that we as children of God do not live daily being "scared" of God. We know that God does not sit on His throne ready and waiting to take us out when we do wrong. God is cheering for His children. He sees our good moves, and when we fall, He encourages us to get back up. We as children of God fear Him in respecting Him and knowing that what He says, is law. We understand that when we are born again, we are bought with the price that Jesus paid on Calvary, therefore we are not our own anymore. 1 Corinthians 7:23, 24 "Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men." "Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God." We understand that we cannot just quench the Spirit after we are born again, and do always as the flesh desires without there being consequences. Revelations 3:19 "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent." We understand that God doesn't punish us because we anger Him, but He does discipline His children so that they repent and get back on the right track so that they do not come into harm. He knows what is best for us. We fear our GOD in knowing that He is holy and righteous, and that He loves us and we are His children and He is all powerful and will move heaven and earth to get us to live in the divine plan He has for our lives, for our good. So we serve Him, and obey His guidance out of our love for Him, and reverence, knowing that He knows what is best, and that this life is not what it is all about, but the one to come. We also as believers understand that there is great joy in serving the Father. He wants us to have a good life here and be joyful and peaceful and show others His goodness, mercy, and love.
3. Christians must keep their eyes on the Father, and remember that this life is only a journy to our destination. We were not created to stay here. We are only passing through. Hebrews 11:13 " These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers andpilgrims on the earth." 1 Peter 2:11 "Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul; 1 Corinthians 10:13 " There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common toman: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also makea way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." It can seem hard here trying to always please God and do the right thing, but we know that the Holy Spirit is with us helping us endure and go on toward home. We understand that serving God isn't about how we feel, but about doing His will no matter what and knowing that He will take care of the rest. Romans 8:14 " For I reckon that the suffereing of this presenttime are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Romans 8: 28 " And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose."
4. What is the reason why each of you serve God? Why do you try to please God?
5. What does the Bible say?
6. Describe the joy and personal reward of humble dedication - the indwelling Christ
7. Challenge students to serve others in humility this week
Discuss some ways that show we are set apart from the world, ways that we can let our lights shine to glorify GOD. Discuss the things that are joyful about serving GOD.
Matthew 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your FATHER which is in Heaven."
When I say Christian, I don't mean I'm better than you,
For I have been where you are, I was once lost without JESUS too.
When I say Christian, I'm not saying that I'm without sin,
But that I have an advocate with the FATHER, and He forgives me again and again.
When I say Christian, I was a sinner saved by grace,
And because I believe in JESUS, When this life is over I'll see His face.
He wants to do for you, exactly what He has done for me,
To save your soul from hell, and from sin to set you free.
All you must do is, call on JESUS and believe,
and in faith know HE loves you, then open your heart and recieve.
Then in faith and with your mouth proclaim,
and follow the Holy Spirit, Praise HIS Holy Name!
(In the name of JESUS...Amen.)
April 12, 2008